Saturday, October 10, 2009

Teaching Toddlers - How I got started

I was always obsessed with babies. I was the obnoxious school ager at church who wanted to steal all the babies. But I must have been doing something right because one family in particular allowed me to started watching their toddlers in the nursery when I was only 9. The parents were on site but I was basically on my own. After that I was a coveted babysitter for all of my teenage years. On top of that I aided my mom in her ministries at a children's director at our churches and a lot of my passion and drive comes from her.

I started really teaching when I was 17. My mom asked me to teach the 2 and 3 year old Sunday School class at church. My first thought? "They will never learn anything from me!" But once I was in the classroom I loved it! This inspired me to pursue preschool in a childcare setting. I went to Renton Technical College for the certificate course in Early Childhood Education, with a childcare lean. As I was in class I was working at a daycare where I was able to implement my ideas. I was the first teacher hired on staff at the daycare and quickly earned the position of assistant director and, soon, director.

After being in childcare for five years, I spent just shy of three years working as an administrator and supervisor for in home care. This is a bit on the other end of the spectrum but that time in my life taught lots of valuable social skills and lessons. I grew a lot, expanded my mind, learned to be less judmental, and how to communicate positively.


Now I have returned to childcare as a toddler teacher and program supervisor. I am sublimely happy! I can't wait to go to work in the morning and I feel like I am doing something worth while.


Many people are amazed that I can teach toddlers. We all know that is a challenging age. To a certain degree it does take a calling to do it full time. But as far as ideas go, it isn't as difficult as you might think! There are so many resources online and, once you know what your kids can do, you can make anything fit their needs and level. I am often complimented for my creativity but, honestly, a lot of my ideas came from someone else! From my mom (who was a very creative and energetic Children's Minister), from books, from other teachers, or from the internet. At this point I can pull something out of my brain and either use it or adapt it or string it out to come up with a new idea!


Maybe teaching young children isn't a career for everyone but it isn't as hard as one makes it out to be. This blog is my way of sharing my passion and helping inspire those who are brave enough to inspire kids!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment